Northwest Iowa Mutual Insurance Association was founded April 6th, 1885. It was organized in Remsen for the protection of the properties of the German Catholic farmers against losses by fire and lightning. The first officers were: President-Albert Mensen; Vice President-Joe Mayrose; Treasurer-F.J. Bohnenkamp; and Secretary-J.H. Ahmann.
The organization was originally called the German Catholic Mutual Insurance Association until 1926 when the name was changed to Remsen Mutual Fire Insurance Association. At this time insurance in force was around $4,000,000. On June 11th, 1945 the name changed again to Remsen Mutual Insurance Association. At this time insurance in force had grown to around $7,000,000.
In 1954 Remsen Mutual became affiliated with the Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance Company, the largest reinsurer of farm property in the world. This opened a whole new array of coverage to be made available to farm mutual members. A fire reinsurance contract was written with Grinnell Mutual thereby eliminating limits on dwellings and permitted insuring items of larger value.
At a board of directors meeting on April 17th, 1989, it was decided to buy lots and construct a new office building located at 239 S. Washington Street in Remsen, Iowa. This is the current location of Northwest Iowa Mutual and remains a fixture of the Remsen Main Street.
On January 1st, 2001 a merger between Plymouth Farmer’s Mutual and Remsen Mutual resulted in Northwest Iowa Mutual Insurance Association. We now have over $600,000,000 insurance in-force and more than 1800 policy holders.